Create your own certified sanctuary for wildlife at your home, church, school, common property, or business and help restore native habitat in Northern Virginia through the Audubon At Home Wildlife Sanctuary Program. With our trained volunteer Audubon At Home Ambassadors, we’ll guide you through the process of transforming your property into a haven for birds, butterflies, and other beneficial wildlife. We let the animals decide when your sanctuary is certified – ten sanctuary species using your sanctuary equals certification. Then you can display an attractive sign announcing to all that the animals have decided your property is a certified wildlife sanctuary.
- Determine the Volunteer Coordinator in your county who will arrange a visit to your property by clicking here.
- Obtain an online application and other information (from the links below) and complete as much information as possible. Don't forget to save the form to your computer.
- Send the application form to the volunteer coordinator you identified above. The individual will contact you to arrange a site visit.
- Assuming the site qualifies, co-sign your application with your Ambassador who will retain the application in his or her files.
- After the volunteer coordinator has visited and qualified your property, send a check for $35 for the yard sign to:
11100 Wildlife Center Drive
Reston, VA 20190
- Wildlife Sanctuary Program Description
- Wildlife Sanctuary Program Brochure
- Wildlife Sanctuary Certification Application
(Note: With some browsers, you may need to dowload the file to your computer before you can fill it out. After you have filled out the form, be sure to SAVE the form to your computer and PRINT IT out.)
- Sanctuary Species Fact Sheets
- Certified Sanctuaries in Northern Virginia
- Take the Healthy Yard Pledge
Make a Difference
Make a difference for local wildlife! You can start the process now by sending in an application form, even if you don’t have the 10 species yet. Please send it as an attachment to the Volunteer Coordinator in your county.